Try this pikelet recipe with a twist, so simple the kids will love to help
2 min read
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup coconut (desiccated)
- 1-2 ripe mashed bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essense
- 3/4 cup milk (more to mix if needed) – you could also try substituting the milk for rice milk for dairy-free pikelets.
- In a bowl or round jug; mash banana, add eggs and lightly beat.
- Add in this order: vanilla essence, sugar, coconut, flour and baking powder.
- Add milk in alternately to mix – little bit of milk, mix, etc, may need extra milk for the right consistency (like a thick but runny sauce)
- Beat for a good minute or so, over beating doesn’t seem to matter. Just make sure there is no visible flour
- In a cast iron or heavy bottom frying pan, lightly oil with either extra light olive oil or spray.
- Pour and spread with the back of a spoon to get the right shape and to spread evenly (the pikelet will rise)
- When little air pockets burst on top, get ready to flip!
- Serve with runny honey, nut butters, cream and jam, lemon and sugar or golden syrup.