Video: Safe Sleep Tips For Your Newborn
Featuring advice from a Well Child Tamariki Ora nurse, this video will give you awesome advice for making sure your baby is sleeping safely
Make sure your baby is sleeping safely
Viewing time: 4m 31s
What you will learn:
- Carmen, a Well Child Tamariki Ora nurse explains the safest place for all babies to sleep at night is in their own bed, bassinet, pēpi-pod® or wahakura, close to parents/caregivers and in the same room.
- For safety, have only the blanket in the baby cot
- Lie baby on their back feet first
- Ensure your home is a smoke-free environment
- Place your baby back in their own bed after a night feed (try and breastfeed for as long as possible if you are able – it is so much healthier for your baby)
- A common mistake parents make is overheating their baby by dressing them in too many clothes. This can make your baby sweat and be uncomfortable.
- There is lots of information in your Well Child booklet – if you haven’t got one, you can order or download a copy here.