Video: How to Communicate with Your Toddler to Help Them Learn
This video shows how communicating with toddlers helps them learn and develop, by talking, asking questions and interacting
Viewing time: 6 minutes 2 seconds
What you will learn:
- Catalogues are a great source of words and pictures – you can point to a picture an ask if she knows what it is. If she does, praise her and tell her more about the item
- Preparing a snack is a good learning opportunity, you can talk about the shape, size colour of the food as you prepare it
- Talking together about what you are doing helps her understand what is happening around her and why things happen
- Giving simple instructions helps her see what it is you want her to do.
- When walking down the street, describe what you see.
- If your toddler doesn’t understand, use different words
- Talking a lot is the best way to learn language
- Children LOVE the fact that everything is new to them and exploring the world is amazing to them
- Everyday objects are new to toddlers so talk about their shape, colour and how they feel.
- You can introduce new words everywhere you go and use action words and descriptive words.
- The more words they hear, the more they will learn!